This recipe, perfect for tart or sour apples, comes to you from Rise Up Homestead. Jessie served this in the morning so that we would have the energy for a long day of catsup making. Enjoy this oven pancake with some crispy bacon and a strong cup of coffee, or in the evening with tea and spoon of cream drizzled over the top.
Apple Oven Pancake
- Preheat oven 425 F.
- Set a kettle of water to boil.
- Place an 8 x 8″ or 8″ oval baking dish in the oven to warm with 1 tblsp butter.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice 2 medium apples.
- Remove baking dish from oven, add apples, spreading evenly.
- Return baking dish to oven and allow apples cook (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, make a batter by whisking together 2 eggs, 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c milk, a few drops of vanilla and a pinch salt.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Sprinkle apples with 1 tblsp brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Toss to coat. Squeeze the juice of 1/4 lemon over apples, then top with batter.
- Set baking dish in a large, deep pan, place on oven rack, and pour 1-2″ boiling water into pan to create a bain-marie.
- Bake until the pancake is puffy and golden (about 15 minutes).
- Serve immediately.